How we use Cookies

Blacon mum to meet members of Hillsborough Independent Panel

A CHESTER mum who lost her son in the Hillsborough stadium disaster is to meet members of a panel set up to scrutinise secret documents into the tragedy today.

A CHESTER mum who lost her son in the Hillsborough stadium disaster is to meet members of a panel set up to scrutinise secret documents into the tragedy today.

Anne Williams, 57, of Blacon, lost her 15-year-old son Kevin in the disaster which happened at the Sheffield Wednesday stadium in April 1989 in an FA Cup match between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest.

The incident resulted in the deaths of 96 Liverpool fans and subsequent inquiries into the tragedy have failed to satisfy families campaigning for answers into how and why it unfolded.

Anne, along with several families of those who lost their lives, is meeting the seven members of the Hillsborough Independent Panel today (Thursday) selected to compile a report to detail their findings.

Anne said: “I have been in contact with the Home Office, they informed us of the panel members before they were officially announced.

“At this stage it’s impossible what the documents are going to be, it depends what evidence will be passed over, whether they are still going to be holding any information back.

“The panel is aware of things that have gone on – one of the members is Professor Scraton, who I have worked with and wrote Hillsborough: The Truth. I also worked with Katy Jones, who produced the Hillsborough TV documentary.

“We have been fighting for 20 years for justice, and we’ve had enough.

“I hope this new report will finally uncover the truth, but we were told we’d get the truth from inquiries before, like the one in 1998, and they just let us down.”

But Anne believes protests at the 20th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster at Liverpool’s Anfield stadium to former culture secretary Andy Burnham, coupled with protest marches in London, made a positive impact.

“The message got across to the Government, I think, at the anniversary and the march held in June last year.

“I think the Government has realised we are not going to walk away from this. There are groups still waiting to go on protest marches, and if we don’t get the truth from this, we’ll carry on marching until we get what we want.”

Anne has been campaigning for a new inquest into the death of Kevin via her Hope for Hillsborough website.

For more information, visit www.hopeforhillsborough.org.

 

Journalists

David Holmes
Chief News Reporter
David Norbury
Reporter
Carmella de Lucia
Reporter
Rachel Flint
Reporter
Contact Us
Full contact details