A CHESTER based company which has opened up a new frontier for care for the elderly, has scooped a national business award.
Trevor Brocklebank launched the UK franchise of Home Instead Senior Care, from his office in Chester in February 2006 and scooped a Dignity in Care Award in 2007. Last week the company took the overall title of Barclays Startups Business of the Year.
The firm provides essential care for seniors allowing them to remain living in their own home as long as possible.
Their services include companionship, meal-preparation, personal care, post discharge care, transportation, medical reminders and general errands.
Given that Cheshire’s elderly population is facing projected increase of 50,000 by 2020, the service provides an alternative in senior care at a time when the government are under pressure to build new residential and care home facilities.
The company has 27 franchised offices across the UK providing more than 1,000 hours of care per day, 365 days a year.
Home Instead Senior Care recently held a networking conference in Chester’s Grosvenor Hotel. Founder member Paul Hogan from Omaha, USA, like many colleagues in the industry explained that he was frantically searching for some form of care for his grandmother who wanted to remain at home.
He spotted a workable solution to an uneasy dilemma that all families face – what level of care to provide for their parents and grand parents given they need help but want to remain living at home.
Mr Hogan explained: “Many seniors don’t want to be a burden to their family but they also want to remain at home and be independent.
“90% want to remain in their home they know their neighbours, the go shopping, visit their local church, moving away from home would be life losing their identity.”
He added: “Our carers are like companions they can prepare meals, give personal care, give companionship, transportation. We focus on building the relationships first then look at the tasks.
Home Instead has become a worldwide phenomenon that has become a popular choice for elderly residents.
Mr Hogan added: “It’s been the difference between living the years and counting the years.”
According to Paul Hogan there are 120 million seniors in the developed countries. The forecast for the UK is 12 million pensioners by 2010.
“80% of American families look after their families but that still makes the other 20% a huge market,” he explained.”
The company’s dramatic expansion coupled with recent awards is the icing on the cake for UK founder Trevor Brocklebank.
He said: “This is a fantastic endorsement of what we have achieved so far. The business came about as a result of my grandfather’s illness as we felt that there was a lack of quality care available for him. What we want to do is change the face of ageing in the UK.”
The awards ceremony, organised by startups.co.uk, in conjunction with Barclays, took place at the Royal Garden Hotel, Kensington, hosted by Adrienne Lawler from Sky News.