Feb 4 2010 by Laurie Stocks-Moore, Chester Chronicle
A CAMPAIGNING councillor has vowed to plough on with plans to give youngsters something to do after mindless vandals ran riot on a village playing field.
Pet Twigg was left seething after a group of rampaging teens wreaked havoc last Tuesday, burning a hole in a play frame and leaving mini moto tyre marks on the football pitch at King George V playing field, Tarvin.
The play equipment was paid for after a year-long local effort to raise funds, led by Cllr Twigg.
But it has been out of bounds since 11pm on January 26 when firefighters were called to put out the blaze which tore through part of a climbing frame and charred the bars around it.
Cllr Twigg spearheaded the campaign, helping to raise £70,000 to pay for the play area four years ago. She was rewarded for her efforts with membership of Tarvin Parish Council.
Now she is counting the cost after the remnants of a bin bag were found at the scene suggesting a bag of rubbish had been deliberately ignited on the frame.
She said: “The kids and parents are upset about it because it was a proactive effort from kids and parents that got it there.
“It’s a thoroughly used park and play area.”
“Someone’s got a motorbike and been doing wheel spins. I think it’s the same people who have started the fire.
“We gave up our social lives for over a year to go all out and fundraise.
“It’s been well loved and well looked after. Everyone’s contributed. It’s my baby so it’s a bit gut wrenching.
“It’s happened and I’m sure it will happen again.”
Cllr Twigg said the frame is insured by the parish council and will be reinstated shortly.
She vowed to push on with phase two of the plan, to set up swings at the other end of the field to create a distinct area for older children.
But Cllr Twigg said her resolve was nearly broken when she heard about the heartless attack on the equipment.
She added: “When something like this happens, you think ‘why bother?’. But it’s just a few mindless idiots who spoil it for the majority.
“It’s ruined something the primary school pupils enjoy.
“The teenagers, who never used it, have spoiled it for the younger children.”
Crew manager Mark Beechey, who put the fire down to deliberate ignition, said: “There was a small fire set inside the structure which caused damage to the plastic flooring.
“It’s unusable until the floor is fixed.
“It is a shame – kiddies play equipment has been destroyed.”
The Friday before the incident, another attempt to damage the structure was thwarted after someone set fire to leaves underneath it.